A well-established Vancouver-based mining company, with over 25 years of experience in the industry, is looking for a Senior Payroll and Benefits Specialist. The company has operations globally and possesses a dedicated team, safe and responsible operations, and long-term partnerships with the communities where it operates.
This is a full-time position in Vancouver, BC, with the possibility of a hybrid work schedule. The position reports to the Payroll & Benefits Manager. The annual salary range for this position is $75,000-$110,000.
As the Senior Payroll & Benefits Specialist, you will provide reliable, responsive, accurate, and timely payroll and benefits services in support of the corporate head office with its locations in Canada and Europe. You will further support with all related expatriate payroll and benefits as well as payroll tax and reporting-related services. You will support the consolidation of payroll and benefits processes for Canadian, European, and Expat payrolls and liaise with several internal and external stakeholders regarding a variety of matters, including but not limited to wages, benefit and pension plans, long-term incentives, taxation, and reporting.
The Senior Payroll & Benefits Specialist will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Payroll & Benefits
- Processing of semi-monthly, monthly, and year-end payrolls for salaried employees in a timely and accurate manner using a combination of Canadian and European software.
- Responsible for verifying the payroll data for accuracy, correcting any errors or omissions, and ensuring the completion of the semi-monthly and monthly payrolls by the strict time-sensitive deadline.
- Manage and administer all Canadian and European employee health and wellness programs, including extended health benefits, insurance, paid time off, and savings plans.
- Support the review of benefits design, and benchmarking, make recommendations, and implement approved changes, including employee communication, as required.
- Support the processing of expat payroll entries in collaboration with the corporate payroll team and site payroll and HR while ensuring adherence to all relevant policies and procedures, permits, and regulations.
- Responsible for administering all aspects of employee pay and benefits, from onboarding to departure.
- Maintain detailed records and documentation of payroll functions for audit purposes, in accordance with statutory requirements and company taxonomy.
- Support the employee onboarding and offboarding processes.
- Tax & Reporting
- Responsible for balancing earnings and deductions totals, inspecting automated system outputs such as registers and standard reports, and determining and correcting out-of-balance conditions, journal entries, and benefits reconciliations.
- Prepares Record of Employment according to current Service Canada instructions and legislation.
- Responsible for issuing and distributing annual T4 and RL-1 tax forms, all year-end reporting, and coordinating with tax consultants for salary splitting.
- Responsible for serving as a liaison for site payroll-related matters with superior customer service.
- Liaison with Finance on payroll-related matters.
- Review payroll and benefits processes and controls, make recommendations, implement approved improvements, and enhance process documentation.
- Provide subject matter expertise when participating in payroll projects and integration efforts.
- Alternate and back up to the Payroll and Benefits Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- A minimum of 6-10 years of payroll and benefits experience.
- National Payroll Institute PCP designation required; professional credits maintained annually.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and Microsoft Excel.
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and priority management skills.
- Ability to positively contribute in a team environment, contributing to shared team goals.
- Ability to effectively investigate and problem-solve technological issues related to payroll processing.
- Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining an impeccable level of accuracy, quality, and meticulous attention to detail.
- Superior customer service skills.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Exhibits a high level of professionalism (tact, discretion, and being entrusted with confidential information), and excellent interpersonal, analytical, and follow-up skills.
- Proactive, results-oriented, and resourceful.
- Proficient with methods, principles, and practices involved in the preparation, calculation, and processing of payroll.
- Self-motivated in keeping abreast of legislative and regulatory changes.
- Expat payroll experience and familiarity with rising Payroll are considered an asset.
- Experience with hypothetical taxing, shadow payrolls, and gross-up calculations is considered an asset.
- Experience with share-based compensation administration and system implementation is an asset.
If this is the best opportunity for you, please send your resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org